The Cost Estimator will be responsible for performing all facets of a commercial works estimate including quantities, costing and sub-trade analysis for presentation and final review of major items.
As a cost estimator for Brunel you typically do the following:
- Identify and quantify cost factors, such as production time, materials, and labour expenses
- Travel to job sites if required to gather information on materials needed, labour required, and other factors
- Read blueprints and technical documents in order to prepare estimates
- Collaborate with engineers, architects, clients, and contractors on estimates
- Consult with industry experts to discuss estimates and resolve issues
- Use computer software to calculate estimates
- Evaluate a product’s cost-effectiveness or profitability
- Recommend ways to make a product more cost-effective or profitable
- Develop project plans for the duration of the project
- Ensure adequate information is available for design, manufacturing, purchasing, planning, service and installation departments.
- 3-5 years’ experience in estimating
- Experience with computer software for estimating.
- Detail oriented must pay attention to small details.
- Knowledge of industry processes, materials and costs.
- Time management and ability to work within fixed deadlines.
Accurately predicting the cost, size, and duration of future construction and manufacturing projects is vital to the survival of businesses. Cost estimators’ calculations give managers or investors this information.
When making calculations, estimators analyze many inputs in order to determine how much time, money, and labour a project needs and how profitable it will be. These estimates have to take many factors into account, including allowances for wasted material, bad weather, shipping delays, and other factors that can increase costs and lower profitability.
Cost estimators use computer software, including databases, to simulate building construction. Cost estimators often use a computer database with information on the costs of other, similar projects.